Posted May 29th 2017
We?re looking for a full-time paid intern to support our startup & technology PR work at Eighty-Eight. The ideal candidate will have a PR certificate, and experience working at a startup/with tech startups is a plus (but not required). The main requirement of this role is a passion for startups and technology. You should also live and breathe startups: you read BetaKit, attend TechTO every month, and follow the Startup North Facebook group daily.
This is a 6-month contract in our Toronto office, with the opportunity to move to a full-time Account Coordinator role after the internship is completed.
As an intern, you?ll work closely with our PR Account Manager Jamie Gillingham, alongside our PR Account Coordinator, Amanda Speers, under the direct supervision of the PR Director, Charlene D?Aoust. You?ll be assigned to three or more accounts where you?ll develop skills to help support your team in a number of communications tasks for retainer and project-based clients including:
- Researching and developing media/influencer lists
- Build and maintain relationships with tech and small business journalists in Canada
- Attend community events, read industry publications, and generally immerse yourself in the Toronto startup scene
- Support the PR team with media relations and everything that comes along with it, including interview prep documents and interview coordination
- Assist in drafting media materials ? writing compelling pitches, and assisting with the first drafts of backgrounders/fact sheets, and press releases/announcements
- Work with our coordinators and account executives to compile coverage reports using CoverageBook
- Daily media monitoring for client and competitor coverage, or opportunities for coverage
- Coordinating logistics for clients events/activations, including planning launch parties, media briefing events, or other events
- Attending team brainstorms and internal meetings
- Assist in drafting submitted/bylined articles and secure placement in industry publications
You?ll be working at our office at Queen & Spadina in the heart of downtown Toronto.
Think the position is a great fit for you? Email your resume and LinkedIn profile to email@example.com, and include the reasons you love startups and technology, and any experience you have in the space.
Here are the qualities we?re looking for in this hire:
- Passion for startups: You?re passionate about startups and technology - you attend events, read industry publications, know the top players and writers
- Degree/diploma in communications or public relations or equivalent experience
- Social media literacy: you use social media in your personal life, and are familiar with how the platforms work
- Resourcefulness: You won?t always know the answer to a question, but you can source it on your own
- Love for words: you love writing, whether it?s a press release or writing your own personal blog posts or stories. You have a passion for nerdy things like spelling and grammar, and would never be caught dead using the wrong your/you?re or its/it?s
- Personality, both online and off: We?re a small team and we like to have fun, so we want someone who fits the Eighty-Eight culture. We also need you to have a personality that shines through for each client, while still staying true to that client?s goals and voice
- Creativity: We?re constantly cooking up creative ideas for our clients, and we need someone who?s not afraid to throw out 15 crazy ideas to find the one idea that works
- Great time management/attention to detail: You?ll be working on several client accounts every day, and juggling multiple responsibilities and various platform
Perks of the job:
- Full-time paid position
- Positive, open and supportive work environment
- Uber-casual dress code
- Unlimited healthy snacks
- Monthly fun activities
Eighty-Eight is a creative communications agency in Toronto specializing in digital marketing, public relations, and design. We work with clients in the technology and consumer/lifestyle categories to start, grow, or enhance their marketing efforts. We specialize in strategy and implementation for digital marketing and public relations campaigns, as well as graphic design and branding projects.
In the past year our agency has been featured in the Toronto Star, Marketing Magazine, Canadian Business, CBC, Global TV, CTV, and Digiday, and we work with clients including Sony Pictures Television, PayPal, NEXT Canada, and foodora.