Posted September 7th 2017
At Rooof, we build the world’s best software for automatically creating classified-ads. That said, we’re even more proud of the team that we’ve built. We love working together and we’re very good at innovating, selling, and turning customers into evangelists! We’ve been growing rapidly and need an organized technical leader to keep our software development on pace with our sales growth.
This is primarily a team leadership position best suited to someone with strong technical fundamentals. The day-to-day responsibilities will tend more towards project management than hands-on technical contributions.
What do your days look like?
- You will organize and reorganize task priority in Jira to meet business objectives.
- If something breaks, you are probably quarterbacking the conversation to fix it. You probably won't write any code, but you might do a code review or play the devil's advocate.
- You will lead the weekly conversation with the software engineers to check in on everyone's major projects. You'll communicate the needs of the sales team to the engineers and then you'll provide progress updates back to the sales team.
- You will be responsible for projecting delivery dates of new features, new products, and bug fixes. If delivery is delayed, then you are responsible for setting expectations and communicating with all those affected.
- When a new product or feature is conceived, you will be responsible for managing the people and process which bring it from requirements collection through to production and regular maintenance.
- You will use your project management skills to ensure that every voice has been heard and decisions are well documented.
- You will provide performance feedback to your team and ensure that they are continuing to grow and meet their career objectives. We will also use 360 reviews so that you get feedback on your leadership.
- You will predict staffing needs for growth, write job descriptions, and interview new candidates.
- Ensure new product and features are delivered reliably, on time, and to specifications.
- Coordinate our actions to respond to bugs, errors, omissions, and third-party troubles.
- Liaise between the Software Engineering team and the Customer-facing team.
- Lead, manage, recruit, and improve the technical team.
Who are you?
- You are dedicated to improving the lives of your team and your customers.
- You assume the best in others and you have a high degree of empathy.
- You have extensive experience developing software, but you would rather lead people and manage projects.
- You're competent at writing code and shipping software, but you're humble enough to know when your direct reports know more than you do.
- You prefer it done right, not necessarily right now.
- You have exceptional problem-solving abilities and you don't give up.
- You can push other people to excel while encouraging them to grow.
- You feel that user-confusion and user-frustrations are often a design flaw.
- You want your work to be beautiful, not just functional.
- You are customer-focused and you strive to create evangelists.
- You have several years of relevant team leadership experience.
- You may have previously held a similar position or you may have extensive experience as a team leader and you are ready for more responsibility.
- You have an education that demonstrates core principles in the field of software.
- There is no specific technical experience required, but we expect that any eligible candidate would have 10+ years of diverse experience programming.
Rooof sells software to property management companies in the USA on monthly recurring subscriptions. On-site users at each property use our software to automatically put classified advertisements on the internet using our browser extension (and pending Electron implementation) that mimics human-like browser-interactions. Instead of making classified ads manually, our software does all the work. Our software is used in over 2,000 apartment buildings by over 5,000 users.
Rooof was founded in 2012 to improve how the rental-housing industry advertises their vacancies. People love our software because it writes great performing ads and because we have automated a task that they despise. We are preparing to build new software for our existing customers to meet other needs, unrelated to classified ad automation.
We are a team of nine with our head offices in Victoria, BC. Six of us are located in Victoria, BC, with sales in Phoenix and two off-site software engineers. Read more about us below!