Posted November 2nd 2017
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Lead will have responsibility for conceptualizing and managing C100’s program delivery for Canadian entrepreneurs. This will include major events and other aspects of programming related to startup education, networking, and community-building. A key objective of the role is to lead programming that engages the Canadian startup throughout its early stages.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about entrepreneurship and technology, and who is a great project & event manager. If you are someone with very strong interpersonal skills, the ability to be organized, adaptable, and wish to be instrumental in helping build the next generation of great Canadian companies you might just be what we are looking for!
(You do not need to be Canadian, but some degree of love/interest in snow, hockey, poutine, and/or Mounties won’t hurt!)
The Program Lead is a key role within the C100 operation, and includes working collaboratively with other C100 staff, volunteers, and special event committees to achieve project objectives. The Program Lead will specifically:
- Develop and lead the strategy and execution of C100 startup programming
- Work together with Content Director and Executive Director to create relevant supporting content
- Manage all components of major founder events including 48hrs in the Valley, Valley 101, and other events as assigned, e.g.: develop and manage event timelines, project budgets, negotiate contracts with vendors, and meet financial objectives of projects as agreed on with the Executive Director; Maintain budgets throughout project and provide reports after the event; Provide event kick-off brief to the C100 staff; set overall framework, timeline and staff responsibilities; Setup and manage weekly team meeting - ensure team is tracking to the event timeline and tasks are being accomplished in a timely manner; Oversee all event logistics on event day and act as the primary point of contact; Produce post-event reports, sponsors and C100 Staff – including creating and conducting post-event surveys and debriefs.
- Work with communications manager to develop a marketing plan for all C100 programs.
- Achieve financial objectives by consulting on an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; initiating corrective actions.
- Administer and manage 48Hrs in the Valley selection process
- Foster and provide direction, assistance and advice to staff and volunteers involved in projects as needed, and anticipate problems and develop solutions.
- Actively engage with Charter Members, as appropriate and required, with consultation with the Executive Director.
- Work with team to ensure all sponsorship fulfillment elements are met
- Assist in other areas of C100 activities when needed.
- Complete administrative duties as necessary.
- Proven track record of successful event production or project completion necessary.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously and to work calmly under pressure of deadlines.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills. Proficiency in French is a plus.
- Experience with contract negotiations, budget creation and management.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Orientation towards taking ownership and pride in teamwork. E.g. default to “I do this because it’s the right thing” vs. “I do this because the boss says to”.
- Must have the ability to project manage, delegate, and manage “up”.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, sponsors, program participants, and other supporters.
- A passion for technology, interest in Canada and/or expatriate communities
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office, GSuite, Salesforce, social media and internet applications required.
- Willing to work nights and weekends as required for key events
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Minimum of two years’ experience in program management, event production or project management required. Previous experience in working with early-stage technology companies highly desirable.
C100 is a non-profit, member-driven association of Canadian thought leaders in the San Francisco Bay Area with a mission to "Accelerate Canada's Innovation Economy." We hope to inspire the most promising Canadian entrepreneurs to build the next generation of successful companies in Canada by providing mentorship, connections and thought leadership. Our members represent a select group of Canadians based primarily in Silicon Valley, including executives of leading technology companies, experienced startup entrepreneurs and venture capital investors.
C100 members are passionate about leveraging their collective experience, expertise and relationships to help mentor and grow a new generation of successful Canadian-led technology companies.