Posted March 16th 2017
About the Gig:
You will be will be working a variety of projects relating to our flagship web application. On the front-end this includes application design and development, performance optimization, and modular and extensible HTML/CSS. In terms of back-end development, you will be extending our REST APIs in our Django project and making them lightning-fast where it matters most for scalability.
You have at least a few years of web development experience under your belt.
You are able to put together robust, maintainable systems. Hacking together code for one-off projects doesn’t cut it in this shop.
You’re super smart and get things done.
You understand the difference between smart shortcuts and ugly hacks.
We like to hire developers who have solid full-stack experience but definitely value, and accommodate, developers who choose to be more focused on either front-end and back-end development.
It’s a good sign if you’re comfortable with:
- Semantic HTML and CSS
- Automated unit and integration testing
- REST APIs
- Git (We use the GitHub pull-request workflow)
- Databases (including query performance and optimization)
- If you have any cool side projects, open source contributions, or community involvement to showcase, please share them, and show us your GitHub profile if you have one.
Top Hat is a high-growth education technology company; we provide tools to make teaching more interactive, fun and engaging. Top Hat helps professors make every lecture count by transforming mobile devices into powerful classroom engagement tools. We have a vibrant culture of brilliant people who are innovators, thinkers, and creative geniuses. We believe in defying the status quo and we want smart people like you to join us.
The fabulous life on the Top Hat engineering team comes with other sweet perks too
- Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart, highly motivated & stoked to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
- We have hack weeks, where developers get to spend time working on ideas that they're super passionate about, and we host Hack & Tell events bi-monthly.
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- We offer snacks and catered lunch every day!
- Oh, and did we mention board games at lunch?
- We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named one of the Top 50 Companies to Watch by Deloitte Consulting)