Posted July 28th 2017
About Your Role
We are looking for a key member to join our team who's enthusiastic about building a new approach to supporting and engaging with our startup community. The Associate, Venture Programs will be the primary point of contact for a high volume of early-stage entrepreneurs/startups looking for information on how to engage with MaRS, and a contributor to the development of the MaRS Start venture program. The Associate will be responsible for overseeing the venture screening, intake and onboarding into MaRS Start program offerings as well as supporting current venture portfolio management. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate deep alignment with MaRS’ overall mission and the need to improve Canadian innovation to drive positive societal and economic outcomes.
What you'll be doing
- Assessing venture applications for MaRS Start program fit, including researching and understanding each company’s market, product and strategy
- Coordinating process for venture orientation, onboarding and service plan development tailored to the particular needs of each company
- Responding to client inquiries and making referrals to service partners; coordinating meetings when applicable
- Supporting existing venture portfolio management and related analysis; coordinating portfolio reviews and tracking updates as required
- Responsible for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting on program activities including: portfolio status, venture highlights, program outcome(s) and associated trends
- Representation and participation at community/industry events
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 1-3 years experience, preferably with technology/startup exposure
- Strong marketing and communications skills – oral, written, and presentation skills
- Exceptional client service capabilities and high-degree of professionalism and diligence
- Analytical and data management capabilities with high attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills; ability to manage details and organize processes without losing sight of the big picture
- Self-starter committed to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives; entrepreneurial approach to getting work done
- Excellent judgment in setting priorities, identifying issues, problem solving and determining and executing solutions
- Collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills; thrives on coordinating and interacting with multiple people and on multiple projects
- Relationship building and business development capabilities
Application close date August 8th, 2017
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queen’s Park subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, summer golf day, and more
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym memberships
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including indigenous persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact. MaRS Start is for founders of early stage innovative technology ventures who are lookingfor the path to growth.